Need some help getting into CowaLUNGa Charity Bike Tour cycling shape? Do you want to invite someone to join you on the tour who’s new to cycling and needs practice? Multiple training opportunities are available to help you prepare and be ready for a great CowaLUNGa ride.
Training & Safety
Wheel & Sprocket (Evanston) Training Rides
Longtime CowaLUNGa sponsor Wheel & Sprocket, a great group of family-owned bike shops in Illinois and Wisconsin, hosts CowaLUNGa training rides from its 1027 Davis Street, Evanston, Illinois location. The weekly rides begin in May (weather permitting) and depart at 6:30 pm from the store, where parking is available. Each ride is approximately 30 miles and non-registered cyclists are welcome. Have a Cow jersey from a previous year? Wear it to promote CowaLUNGa while you train.
Free CowaLUNGa Training Rides
Join veteran CowaLUNGa cyclists for free training rides and meet fellow tour riders. Check back regularly as rides and information are added throughout the season. CowaLUNGa training ride details will also be shared in emails to registered participants.
Other Invitational Rides/Events
The list below include other invitational rides/events that you can choose to use as “warm ups” for the CowaLUNGa Charity Bike Tour. Registration is required and all have fees associated with participation.
• Folks on Spokes, Park Forest, Illinois
• Bike the Drive, Chicago, Illinois
• Bike Club of Lake County’s Ramble, Kenosha, Wisconsin
• Biking with Beanzie, DeKalb, Illinios
• Venus de Miles (women’s ride), Lake Forest, Illinois
Local Cycling Clubs
Local cycling clubs have a variety of rides to choose from and are a good way to help you train for CowaLUNGa. Check out a club in your area for more information.
Chicago Cycling Club Rides
The CCC is a social club dedicated to promoting safe group cycling while highlighting the city of Chicago as a viable place to tour. Click here to learn more about these rides or to check the CCC ride schedule. If you attend any rides or functions with the CCC, please make sure to mention that you are with the CowaLUNGa Bike Tour.
Other Local Cycling Clubs
▪ Arlington Heights Bicycle Club
▪ Bicycle Club of Lake County (Libertyville)
▪ Chicago Cycling Club
▪ Elmhurst Cycling Club
▪ Evanston Cycling Club
▪ Fox Valley Bike & Ski Club (St. Charles)
▪ McHenry Cycling Club (Crystal Lake)
▪ Naperville Cycling Club
▪ Oak Park Cycling Club
▪ Schaumburg Cycling Club
▪ Starved Rock Cycling Association
▪ Wheeling Wheelmen Bicycle Club (Buffalo Grove)
Your safety is important. For your own safety and the safety of others:
- All CowaLUNGa riders are required to wear secured bicycle helmets while on their bikes. NO HELMET, NO RIDE.
- Please obey all traffic laws at all times.
- Ride within your ability and physical condition.
- Carry personal identification.
- Bring a bike in good condition, with a spare tube, basic tools (optional), a water bottle, sunscreen, etc. (see the CowaLUNGa Packing List for additional suggestions).
- The routes are on public roads which must be shared with motorists. Local Illinois and Wisconsin law enforcement authorities may patrol the roads and may issue citations for traffic violations.
- RHA reserves the right to have individuals removed from the ride.
A Fanny Flag will be issued to each registered CowaLUNGa rider. SAG service and rest stop services will be available only to those riders with a Fanny Flag. See ride logistics for more details.
Ready to ride? Sign up for Cow emails.
You’ll receive occasional event updates throughout the year and alerts when registration opens in spring 2018.